October COVID-19 Update
Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, Hodan Somali Community staff and volunteers have been working hard to:
- Provide life-saving information about the virus to people who can’t read English
- Support people who are bereaved or struggling with family illness
- Encourage women to stay active through our online Zumba classes
- Reduce loneliness and social isolation
- Help older people improve their digital literacy and access online services
- Give employability advice to people who have lost their jobs or businesses
- Prevent homelessness and solve other housing-related problems
We are grateful for the support that we have received from the following COVID-19 emergency funding schemes to enable us to modify our delivery approaches, respond to increased demand for advice, and develop new services for vulnerable groups:
Hodan has also received grants from the Postcode Neighbourhood Trust, the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, the Greater London Authority and London Catalyst.
Hodan’s COVID-19 Response
Hodan’s Covid-19 Response
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, Hodan is offering a telephone-based advice and befriending service for the Somali and wider BAME community in London.
We can offer advice in English and Somali on:
– Reducing the spread of the virus
– Understanding ‘social distancing’ – what’s allowed and what’s not
– Understanding official letters that you’ve received
– Meeting your basic needs (food, medication, etc.) while in isolation
– Coping with loneliness
– Accessing Universal Credit and government emergency support
– Dealing with housing problems during the crisis
– Education and employment issues
We can also signpost and refer people to agencies providing advice on debt, immigration and health issues, including mental health.
We are offering Online Zumba classes for women twice a week (via Zoom) to encourage physical fitness, improve mental well-being and reduce the impact of social isolation.
You can join Zumba classes on every Tuesday and Friday @ 11:00 AM by using the following Zoom meeting ID: 7882749946
Hodan is proud to be working with the Kensington & Chelsea Foundation through their Covid-19 appeal.
COVID-19 annoucement for Hodan Service Users
20th March 2020
Notice for Hodan’s clients during Covid-19 Pandemic
In the light of continued concerns regarding the Covid-19 Pandemic we are advising Hodan’s Service users not to come to the office unless in an emergency. We will do our utmost to help you over the phone. Call Hodan’s number 0208 9605813 or 07440399926 and we’ll give you a call back to minimise your cost.
Thanks for your co-operation
Ogeysiis Ku saabsan Hodan drop-in services
Anaka oo tixgalineyna saameynta cudurka COVID-19, waxaan dhamaan dadka u baahan adeega Xafiiska Hodan Somali Community ku wargalineynaa in ayna iman xafiisa wixii xaalad ded deg ah mooye (emergency). Haddii aad u baahato adeega xafiiska la soo hadal Telefoonkan: 020 8960 5813 amba 07440399926, Waxaanu ku dadaali in aan waxaad u baahantay kuugu qabano telefoonka. Anaka ayaa kugu soo celindoona telefoonka si aan u yareeyno kharashka telefoonka kaaga baxaya.
COVID-19 Update for Hodan Sevices
Date 20th of March 2020
I am writing to you as we watch the Covid-19 global health crisis change and affect our lives day by day, hour by hour.
In light of ongoing and growing concerns and the utmost importance of looking after the health and safety of our staff, beneficiaries and clients and other visitors to our office and services, Hodan’s staff and trustees have agree to the following:
- We will minimise close contacts at the drop-in services and give support to our clients over the phone instead, unless we face with an urgent emergency case.
- We will reduce home visits, except for emergency cases and make frequent telephone contacts with the most isolated and vulnerable people.
- We will temporarily suspend all group meetings including group gatherings for our Social Space and Wellbeing, and Elderly Befriending projects.
We are aware that some of the people in our community are most at risk so these changes will be put in place to keep them safe. We are doing this in consultation with the Council’s Community Engagement team and Hodan partner organisations in the community. Hodan will continuously monitor the situation on a daily basis and update our services accordingly.
We are all experiencing a great deal of uncertainty and we are aware of the huge challenges ahead of us. It is at this time when we are advised to practice social distancing that we are even more aware of how important it is for us to act as a community and care for each other.
Wishing you and your family good health,
Hodan Somali Community
Telephone: 020 8960 5813 / 07949514936
Elderly Befriending Project
We have received funding from the Kensington & Chelsea Foundation to support a project focusing on community members over the age of 50.
The Elderly Befriending Project will provide home visits to vulnerable elders and will also be running regular monthly meetings, encouraging people to socialise and improve their well-being.
The meetings will take place within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Specific dates and venues will be announced on this site in the near future.
Hodan has recently expanded its successful Empowerment Club project and is now running a second session at the White City Community Centre, on Friday mornings. This has been made possible through the support of the National Lottery ‘Awards for All’ programme.
This is a great opportunity for women of all ages and backgrounds who live in the following West London boroughs: Kensington & Chelsea, Hammersmith & Fulham, Ealing, Hounslow and Hillingdon.
Sessions are now taking place at the following venues:
Every Wednesday, 11 AM – 1 PM @ Canalside House, London Ladbroke Grove W10 5AA
Every Friday, 10.30 AM – 12.30 PM @ White City Community Centre, India Way, London W12 7QT
Occasional workshops in confidence-building and community asset mapping will also be offered at these and other venues – please watch this space for more information!
To register, or for more information, please contact Hodan Somali Community by telephone: 020 8960 5813.